Make your vacation a great one!
Whether you’re planning a trip to a local attraction in Florida this summer, or headed all the way across the country, you want your vacation to be relaxing. So, we’ve got some tips – from packing smart to protecting yourself from pickpockets – to make your trip the best it can be.
Before you go
Even if you’re only headed across the state to Daytona Beach, a packing list is a must. How many times have you left your home and arrived at your destination, only to find that you forgot your most comfortable walking shoes? Or your swimsuit? Put everything on this list, even if you think you would never forget it. A toothbrush is easy to replace when you get there – your prescription medication isn’t.
Of course, packing light can make travel a lot more enjoyable. Who wants to lug 100 pounds of luggage through the airport? Not us. Here are some ideas to help you lighten the load:
- Do laundry at your destination. If you won’t have access to facilities, you can wash clothes in the hotel sink and hang them up to dry.
- Easy on the shoes. If you can, pack only one or two pairs of shoes. It’s best to wear the heavier pair during travel if possible, and pack the lighter one.
- Ditch the books. Consider using an e-reader instead of packing actual books. Once you reach your destination, thrift shops are great places to find inexpensive books.
- If flying, don’t check your bag. This will force you to take smaller pieces of luggage, and It saves you the hassle of baggage claim, too.
When you’re there
It’s time to relax! But don’t let your guard down completely. After all, tourists often are targets for those looking to separate you from your money. Here are some ways to protect your wallet from criminals and other money traps:
- Don’t carry much cash. Most places accept credit cards, and those that don’t often have ATMs on site.
- If you carry a wallet, keep it in your front pocket. For a purse, hang it across your body. Both will make it more difficult for a thief
- Eating out too much? If your hotel room has a refrigerator, you can easily purchase and store sandwich ingredients for a cheap lunch or dinner.
Finally, remember that you’re on vacation so relax and enjoy yourself!